All Quotes, Sylvia Plath

60+ Sylvia Plath Quotes

Sylvia Plath was an American poet, novelist, and short-story writer. Born in Boston, Massachusetts, she studied at Smith College and Newnham College at the University of Cambridge before receiving acclaim as a poet and writer. This is a collection of 60+ Sylvia Plath quotes and sayings.



There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. - Sylvia Plath
Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing. - Sylvia Plath
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again. - Sylvia Plath
Kiss me and you will see how important I am. - Sylvia Plath
I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. - Sylvia Plath
If you expect nothing from anybody, you're never disappointed. - Sylvia Plath
How frail the human heart must be - a mirrored pool of thought. - Sylvia Plath
When you are insane, you are busy being insane - all the time. - Sylvia Plath
Widow. The word consumes itself. - Sylvia Plath
There is so much hurt in this game of searching for a mate, of testing, trying. And you realize suddenly that you forgot it was a game, and turn away in tears. - Sylvia Plath
Indecision and reveries are the anesthetics of constructive action. - Sylvia Plath
One should be able to control and manipulate experiences with an informed and intelligent mind. - Sylvia Plath
Mountains terrify me - they just sit about; they are so proud. - Sylvia Plath
I talk to God but the sky is empty. - Sylvia Plath
Wear your heart on your skin in this life. - Sylvia Plath
I've begun to think like a Jew, to feel like a Jew. - Sylvia Plath
But life is long. And it is the long run that balances the short flare of interest and passion. - Sylvia Plath
I don't believe that the meek will inherit the earth; The meek get ignored and trampled. - Sylvia Plath
Every woman adores a Fascist. - Sylvia Plath
The blood jet is poetry and there is no stopping it. - Sylvia Plath
How we need another soul to cling to. - Sylvia Plath
Is there no way out of the mind? - Sylvia Plath
I have a visual imagination. - Sylvia Plath
It seems this is an age of clever critics who keep bewailing the fact that there are no works worthy of criticism. - Sylvia Plath
Perfection is terrible; it cannot have children. - Sylvia Plath
Poetry at its best can do you a lot of harm. - Sylvia Plath
Nothing stinks like a pile of unpublished writing. - Sylvia Plath
There is an increasing market for mental hospital stuff. I am a fool if I don't relive it, recreate it. - Sylvia Plath
There is something suspect, especially in America, about people who don't have ten-year plans for a career or at least a regular job. - Sylvia Plath
I think my poems immediately come out of the sensuous and emotional experiences I have. - Sylvia Plath
It seems this is an age of clever critics who keep bewailing the fact that there are no works worthy of criticism. - Sylvia Plath
If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed. - Sylvia Plath
I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart. I am, I am, I am. - Sylvia Plath
Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing. - Sylvia Plath
The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence. - Sylvia Plath
I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, "This is what it is to be happy. - Sylvia Plath
Remember, remember, this is now, and now, and now. Live it, feel it, cling to it. I want to become acutely aware of all I’ve taken for granted. - Sylvia Plath
I like people too much or not at all. I've got to go down deep, to fall into people, to really know them. - Sylvia Plath
The trouble was, I had been inadequate all along, I simply hadn't thought about it. - Sylvia Plath
There is nothing like puking with somebody to make you into old friends. - Sylvia Plath
To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is a bad dream. - Sylvia Plath
I felt very still and empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo. - Sylvia Plath
Perhaps some day I'll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow. - Sylvia Plath
I have never found anybody who could stand to accept the daily demonstrative love I feel in me, and give back as good as I give. - Sylvia Plath
Life has been some combination of fairy-tale coincidence and joie de vivre and shocks of beauty together with some hurtful self-questioning. - Sylvia Plath
I want to be important. By being different. And these girls are all the same. - Sylvia Plath
There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. - Sylvia Plath
The floor seemed wonderfully solid. It was comforting to know I had fallen and could fall no farther. - Sylvia Plath
What horrifies me most is the idea of being useless: well-educated, brilliantly promising, and fading out into an indifferent middle age. - Sylvia Plath
If they substituted the word 'Lust' for 'Love' in the popular songs it would come nearer the truth. - Sylvia Plath
So much working, reading, thinking, living to do! A lifetime is not long enough. - Sylvia Plath
Ever since I was small I loved feeling somebody comb my hair. It made me go all sleepy and peaceful. - Sylvia Plath
The trouble about jumping was that if you didn't pick the right number of storeys, you might still be alive when you hit bottom. - Sylvia Plath
How can you be so many women to so many strange people, oh you strange girl? - Sylvia Plath
Please don’t expect me to always be good and kind and loving. There are times when I will be cold and thoughtless and hard to understand. - Sylvia Plath
I am sure there are things that can't be cured by a good bath but I can't think of one. - Sylvia Plath
I would catch sight of some flawless man off in the distance, but as soon as he moved closer I immediately saw he wouldn’t do at all. - Sylvia Plath
It was my first big chance, but here I was, sitting back and letting it run through my fingers like so much water. - Sylvia Plath
The thought that I might kill myself formed in my mind coolly as a tree or a flower. - Sylvia Plath
I felt myself melting into the shadows like the negative of a person I'd never seen before in my life. - Sylvia Plath
Character is fate. - Sylvia Plath
Please share this collection of Sylvia Plath Quotes.
Sharing is Caring: share on facebook buttonshare on twitter button